1. Which principle does the DIY oil pump primarily demonstrate?
A) Magnetic attraction
B) Air pressure differences
C) Hydraulic force
D) Lever mechanism
2. Why do real oil pumps often have a deep drilling mechanism?
A) To find hidden treasures
B) To reach underground oil reservoirs
C) To plant seeds
D) To make holes for swimming pools
3. What are the main components of a pump jack?
A) Gears and belts only
B) Piston and cylinder only
C) Horsehead, walking beam, and counterweights
D) Wires and batteries only
4. What is the purpose of the Samson posts in a pump jack?
A) To store excess oil
B) To provide electrical power
C) To support the walking beam and maintain balance
D) To drill into the ground for oil extraction
5. In which country would you find a significant number of pump jacks due to its vast oil reserves?
B) Saudi Arabia
D) New Zealand
1. Correct Answer: C) Hydraulic force
Explanation: A pump jack in an oil field uses hydraulics to lift oil from the ground. It applies pressure to the fluid in a confined space, and the fluid pushes back, moving the jack. This shows how liquids can be used to transfer force in systems.
2. Correct Answer: B) To reach underground oil reservoirs
3. Correct Answer: C) Horsehead, walking beam, and counterweights
4. Correct Answer: C) To support the walking beam and maintain balance.
Explanation: The Samson posts are crucial structural elements in a pump jack. They act as vertical supports, holding up the walking beam. This ensures that the walking beam can move up and down smoothly during the pumping action without tipping or becoming unbalanced. Essentially, they provide stability to the entire operation.5. Correct Answer: B) Saudi Arabia