1. What does the shackle do in a combination lock?
A) Stores the combination numbers
B) Provides the unlocking mechanism
C) Connects the lock to objects
D) Generates the lock's power
2. How does the lever function in a combination lock?
A) It powers the lock
B) It connects the lock to objects
C) It aligns with the correct combination to release the shackle
D) It stores the combination numbers
3. Which statement best describes the role of the three cams in a combination lock?
A) They provide decoration to the lock.
B) They connect directly to the shackle.
C) They align in a specific way to unlock the lock.
D) They power the lock with electricity.
4. How does turning the dial in a combination lock affect the cams?
A) It changes the lock's color.
B) It plays a tune.
C) It aligns the notches of the cams
D) It charges the lock's battery.
5. Which lock doesn't need a traditional key to open?
A) Barrel bolt
B) Cam lock
C) Combination lock
D) Rim latch lock
1. Correct Answer: C) Connects the lock to objects
Explanation: The shackle is a crucial component of a combination lock, essentially acting as the locking mechanism. It is a curved metal bar that remains securely within the lock until the correct combination is entered. When the right combination is dialed in, the shackle is released, thus unlocking the lock.
2. Correct Answer: C) It aligns with the correct combination to release the shackle.
Explanation: In a combination lock, the lever helps lock the shackle. It slides, turns, and clicks into a groove when the shackle is pushed down. Pulling the shackle lets the lever spring back and lock it.
3. Correct Answer: C) They align in a specific way to unlock the lock
Explanation: Inside a combination lock, three cams help with locking. Each cam has a notch. When the right combination is dialed, the notches line up, letting the lever turn and the lock open.
4. Correct Answer: C) It aligns the notches of the cams.
Explanation: When you turn the dial on a combination lock, it moves the cams inside. Dialing the right combination lines up the cams' notches. When they align, the lock opens.
5. Correct Answer: C) Combination lock